Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Masaki Amamiya: In Praise of Non-Notability

I made it all the way to the earliest poster in my Picasaweb project today-- the 1956 film Onna keirin ô starring Japan's first nudie-star, the unbelievably zaftig for the time and place, Michiko Maeda. I still have 140 more posters to do in the album though-- Posters I have added since my first upload of my collection last year. Anyway, it's nice to hit a hurdle like this. IMDb continues to accept my submissions, and links to my poster albums, making this all worthwhile. As I used to muse back when I was happily contributing to Wikipedia-- before the "Wikipedia is NOT!" crowd ran me off-- it is these obscure, minor subjects-- Pink films in my case-- which a project like IMDb (or, I once thought, Wikipedia) excels.




If I want anything more than quick, shallow information about John Ford or Alfred Hitchcock, would I go to IMDb (or Wikipedia)? No. There are dozens of authoritative books to consult instead. But what if I want information on some obscure Pink film or Japanese AV actress no one has written about in English? I would go to a site where a book-wormish film nerd has added all the information he could find on the subject... But the mob that has taken over the site claiming to aim for "the sum of human knowledge" has purposely banned knowledge of the obscure... What a shame... Now take Masaki Amamiya for example. As can be amply seen in the images decorating this post, there is a HUGE wealth of human knowledge in Masaki, yet only a reckless fool would attempt starting an article on her in the exclusive club of Wikipedia.


She has starred in several internationally-available DVDs, sure, but just starring in DVDs is not "notable", of course. Any self-respecting Wikipedian can tell you that. Hell, who hasn't starred in several DVDs on the international market? Pffft. Only a newbie would think there is anything unusual about that. But look. LOOK! Masaki can carry her DVDs around and still have both hands free to give the peace sign! Now, pardon my French, but any definition of "notable" that excludes that is a crock of shit!!!

And look at what a nice smile she has! Would YOU call that non-notable? Would YOU go to a place calling itself the "sum of human knowledge" which intentionally excludes such a great, big, beautiful chunk of human knowledge as THIS? No. I didn't think so. Neither would I. So they exclude the likes of Masaki Amamiya. GOOD! That leaves her for US lucky few who are in the know to enjoy for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment