Monday, June 4, 2012

Here Comes Trouble

The Pochapuri project has officially begun! I started the first five DVD stubs this morning, then another five in the evening. I had only prepared stills from the first ten DVDs, and cannot access the homepage in the evening. I spent the rest of the evening locating the most decent stills (most are not very good) through Google Images, and will download them tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just upload them after I've started the articles for the remaining 30 DVDs... In the afternoon I did a little category work for the new series. The day's highlight was an appearance by Rose Aoyama in the sixth DVD in the series. We see her at an angle calculated to show off her best assets-- her fine, sturdy "birthing hips" as Barnabas Collins-- the new Barnabas Collins-- refers to them. That's them up there to the left.

I submitted five new films to IMDb, but I won't bore you with the details unless I need some extra text to pad out the post to make room for some images. Suffice it to say they were all Pink, released from 1977-1979...

The evening's movie was Here Comes Trouble (1948), another Hal Roach streamliner, like Niagara Falls (1941) from a couple days ago, and a direct sequel to the streamliner Hay Foot (1942), which I also saw a week or so ago but didn't write about... Funny how I always seem to wind up watching movies that follow a series, someone's career, or some other theme without planning to do so. I just popped this one on at random. This particular series is "Sergeant Doubleday", with William Tracy as the lead character. The entire series of eight films is:
Tanks a Million (1941)
Hay Foot (1942)
About Face (1942)
Fall In (1942)
Yanks Ahoy (1943)
Here Comes Trouble (1948)
As You Were (1951)
Mr. Walkie Talkie (1952)

As can be seen from the release years, this was mainly an early WWII-era service comedy series, and, of the two I've seen (I think I may have seen a third years ago-- one of the early ones), the WWII one is of the higher interest. This one, set in the post-war era, has the gang kind of milling around not sure what to do with themselves now that they're out of the army. Cops, strippers and gangsters are involved. The ending seems both an anachronistic throw-back to silent-era chases, and a rip-off of the deed-chase scene from Laurel & Hardy's Way Out West (1937). The poster above right ballyhoos the film as being in "Gay, New Cinecolor", but I found it to be neither new nor in any kind of color... The earlier Doubleday films I've seen, made during WWII, were mildly amusing. This one was even milder. Oh, it was nice to see the old crew back together after a five-year break. Well, two of them were together again. But other than that, it was a pretty uninspired comedy. That the series seemed to be pretty clearly out of steam makes me wonder about the two that followed this one... though, I guess, they place the gang back in the army. As if WWII weren't enough laffs, now there was another war going on, over in Korea...

No comments:

Post a Comment