Monday, October 13, 2014

Disaster in Dekkappai-land

The last day of my vacation has turned out to be a total disaster... One those computer disasters that seems to strike regularly has just struck again, and this could be a big one. My beloved 4-terrabyte hard disk suddenly stopped working this morning. The power board seems to have gone out. The computer shop said they might be able to put the disk into a new box, with a 50-50 chance of saving the data... That means all my images, movies, research, etc. obtained over the past couple years could be lost. I still have my older stuff saved on my old computer, but that's all pretty obsolete now. Also, I've saved a lot online through my Pink Film blogs... but still, this could be a major loss... Just now I went to look for a good image to illustrate this post-- maybe Sara Aikawa sitting on a guy's face, representing the Dekkappai version of fate crushing down on me, like the giant foot dropping from the sky and splatting some poor slob in Monty Python-- but then I realized... I have no images to upload! I'm back to ground zero! I have nothing! Zilch! Nada!

I hadn't really planned on posting tonight, but the disastrous disk event has caused considerable reflection on my part, as you can imagine... literally thousands of hours worth of work may be lost... Unless my computer guy can restore the disk later in the week, I may have to re-think my very online existence... Maybe I'll just report what catches my eye on Twitter now... because I've lost the huge backlog of Pink & BBW images and information that I accumulated over the years. Maybe I'll just devote more time to offline off-computer work like... This kind of thing can sure shake one's faith in the reliability of electronic media, and make one lose one's enthusiasm for contributing to it...


And so we have an image-less post tonight, and I don't know if I want to do any more... I'm pretty loaded up on whiskey right now, and feeling pretty negative about the whole computer world... data, blogging, tweeting.. the whole thing... My old friend Kmrt & I had a talk about Kôji Wakamatsu this morning... maybe I'll watch one of his films I haven't seen, and then call it a night...

No comments:

Post a Comment