Monday, May 14, 2012

The Lady Confesses

I spent my afternoon and evening sessions ownloading the screencaps I'll use for the next batch of ALB- articles, as well as the 50 or so early ones started without screencaps. Exploring the realm of BBW JAV after my Boobpedia work turned up some new screencaps from the new IZM DVD release-- ICD-187-- featuring the abundant Ms. Hiyoko Makino. We see one over on the left.

The evening's entertainment consisted of the dubious pleasure of The Lady Confesses (1945). I was busy preparing myself a scotch & ale during the opening credits, and so didn't see that the lead actor was Hugh Beaumont. Consequently, I spent half the film thinking, who is that... who IS that... until it finally came to me... "That's the BEAVER'S DAD!" The movie was not much to brag about-- another PRC quickie. It wasn't a noir-- none of the conflicted characters, moral ambiguity, narrative and stylistic experimentation, etc. of that genre-- but more of a straight, old-fashioned, if inept who-dunnit... Which I've never cared much for. The mystery is solved with some blatant and unbelievable plot manipulations. Characters change from "good" to "bad" and vice-versa at the drop of the hat, as the plot mechanics require. And not only that, the lady never even confesses ferchrissakes! What a rip-off! Neverthless, its compact duration (64 minutes) and constantly-moving plot at least staved off boredom. Check it out at the Internet Archive if you've a mind to. A middling Five stars out of Ten from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment