Saturday, May 5, 2012

The BBW-est Show on Earth

Due to a cold, I've been tired and slept in later than usual, so I didn't go online during the morning. I spent my afternoon 20-minute session adding some more info on the Munekyunkissa videos to continue that project later on. My little time online in the evening was spent browsing for new AV activity of interest. I came across a few more precious images of the lovely Karen Toudou (in her DVD code QND-017), and Tamaki Yasuoka (at left, in DVD WZA-04).


The evening's entertainment pleasure consisted of The Smallest Show on Earth (1957), with Peter Sellers as Percy Quill. Charming little British film, with Sellers before his international stardom. In fact he was in a supporting role in this film. He played an old projectionist in the run-down theater inherited by the actual star of the film, Bill Travers. Seller's characterization was similar to his disguise, as Inspector Clouseau, in that hilarious scene in The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) where he poses as a dentist, and both he and Dreyfus get high on gas, laughing hysterically as his rubber nose is melting off. Dreyfus, realizing who it is, still laughing uncontrollably, yelling to his henchmen, "Kill him!!! KILL HIM!!!" Anyway, Smallest Show on Earth was a satisfactory way to spend an evening. One line stuck with me-- Francis De Wolff as Hardcastle, the owner of the big theater who wants to buy out the little theater mumbles in a gruff Scottish accent in reference to Margaret Rutherford, "I remember when she was a wee slip of a thing, pretty as a picture... A B-picture, mind you..." Seven stars out of ten from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment