Monday, April 9, 2012

More Toudou with Karen

I spent most of my online time today polishing and posting a few entries to this blog. While doing so I came across a hoard of new pictures of the always-welcome Karen Toudou from her QDN-08 DVD. A considerable percentage of my time online was spent capturing these. Above left you see just one of the many fine and upstanding images from this haul. And at right you can see one more offering from this evening's crop, in which she is relieving some of the strain from her over-stuffed kimono. It's back to Pink Film Archive work tomorrow-- I'll probably start by posting the findings from the past week.


Last night's delving into the realm of B-cinema brought up I Am a Criminal (1938), another in the long and prolific, but lackluster filmography of director William Nigh whose career I seem to be unintentionally following lately. This is actually an above-average effort from the director, for Monogram Pictures. It starts out looking like a typical crime film, as its title, reminiscent of I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) led me to expect. But after an early, talky showdown between the new DA and the town's big racketeer, it took a left turn at Albah-koiky and turned into a warm-hearted little buddy-film between the racketeer and an orphan. The ending was actually rather touching. Seven stars out of Ten-- So far in our survey of Nigh's oeuvre, this is his career high-point.

No comments:

Post a Comment