Friday, April 27, 2012

Heavy Lifting Done!

Except for 5 posters I still can't identify, I've finished the last task of the Pink Film Archive projects: identifying and sorting 1,380 posters at the Nakamura Eigeki site. Lending an appropriately hushed, but intense solemnity to the occasion, the task was completed while listening to Arvo Pärt's Te Deum album. If any boob-fans out there are looking for a good entry into Pärt's oeuvre, I recommend this one without reservation. The only thing now remaining is the starting of entries for the new films illustrated by the Nakamura posters, then my Pink Film Archive projects are, basically, done! Constant maintenance will be required, of course-- new movies, and newly-discovered posters of old films, including scanning some images from books and magazines in my collection. There is also a fairly large backlog of images of older films (1960s & 1970s) needing to be cleaned and uploaded.

I began this project of accumulating images of posters to several thousand Pink Films back in 2006, mistakenly thinking that Wikipedia would welcome this kind of dedication to an encyclopedic coverage of a film genre. After learning otherwise, and shopping around for some place to offer this work, I started the Pink Film Archives at Blogspot in October 2011. And uploading that work is now, basically... DONE! No need to worry now about the loss of those hours spent locating, sifting through and identifying those posters, in the event of sudden incapacitation, death or even disk crash. My legacy is secure... Yet, as if to remind me of the impossibility of the project ever truly being finished, I see that OP Eiga has just put out their monthly crop of four new large poster images-- three new films and a re-release.

Now that the heavy lifting is over, let's sit back and watch Miss LUU do her own heavy lifting in this image from her blog. She makes the job seem so much more pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment