Sunday, March 11, 2012


Went to see The Artist today. I had been slightly reluctant to see it, for some reason. I love silent film. But maybe it was because we enjoyed Hugo so much and were disappointed it had lost for Best Film & Best Director to this unknown upstart Artist. Anyway, we both absolutely loved it. I rarely agree with the Best Film selections (I couldn't even watch more than 15 minutes of Hurt Locker), but they got it right this time. It's a joyful celebration of film history (a point it shares with Hugo), a treat for film buffs, and just a plain fun, touching, wonderful movie. I look forward to seeing it again.

Everyone seems to assume the main character is based on Valentino, because of his name (George Valentin), but he looks a lot more like Douglas Fairbanks to me. It's put me in the mood to dig out some Fairbanks films from my collection and watch them again.

Spent most of my free time today identifying, labeling and categorizing Pink Film posters from the Nakamura Eigeki theater collection. Tough work, but fascinating and fun work for an old puzzle-solver/collector/list-maker such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment